Sunday, July 29, 2018

Shu Yun, the Trinket Tempest

You ever have an idea that gets stuck in your head? That's what happened to me years ago when I first started getting into Commander. My friend Rob had a Blue-Red Nin the Pain Artist Trinket (that is, Artifacts that cost one mana or less) deck. It was weird and wild and I loved it. I just wish I could have added Auriok Salvagers to it...you know...for value.

Fast forward to Fate Reforged. Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest comes out and I pick up a copy (I grabbed one of every Khan from that set and to this date have only never had an Alesha deck built). I make note of how cool it would be with Trinkets and cost reduction mechanics and set it aside until Magic Origins. You see, that set had Hangarback Walker. 

You know what gets back Hangarback Walker? Auriok Salvagers. Then came Battle for Zendikar and Nettle Drone and I saw a funky, if bad, win condition. So I had plans. I put together a deck somewhat outside my comfort zone - don't worry, I still have graveyard shenanigans - but kept it largely on the shelf. I think in all of 2015, 2016, and 2017 I played the deck twice. Fast forward to 2018 and I've played it twice in the past two months and it's rapidly becoming one of my favorite decks to play. Why?

Because this guy remembered he bought a few copies of Scrap Trawler. And he picked up a Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain. And Sai, Master Thopterist got printed.

So not only can this deck durdle with the best of them, now it is an actual threat.

And in typing this up...apparently I need to find a Great Furnace...

Commander
Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest

Planeswalkers
Daretti, Scrap Savant
Tezzeret, the Seeker
Creatures
Auriok Salvagers
Goblin Welder
Herald of Kozilek
Nettle Drone
Sage of Lat-Nam
Sun Titan
Trinket Mage
Vedalken Archmage
Vedalken Engineer
Whirler Rogue
Hanna, Ship's Navigator
Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain
Pia and Kiran Nalaar
Sai, Master Thopterist
Arcbound Crusher
Etherium Sculptor
Filigree Angel
Foundry Inspector
Glassdust Hulk
Hangarback Walker
Heap Doll
Junk Diver
Myr Retriever
Phyrexian Metamorph
Scrap Trawler
Solemn Simulacrum
Walking Ballista
Instants
Cyclonic Rift
Wear//Tear
Sorceries
Fabricate
Artifacts
Aether Spellbomb
Altar of the Brood
Brittle Effigy
Codex Shredder
Chromatic Sphere
Chromatic Star
Dispeller's Capsule
Elixir of Imortality
Origin Spellbomb
Relic of Progenitus
Renegade Map
Salvaging Station
Scourglass
Scrabbling Claw
Scroll of Avacyn
Sculpting Steel
Springleaf Drum
Terrarion
Trading Post
Traveler's Amulet
Tormod's Crypt
Universal Solvent
Wanderer's Twig
Wayfarer's Bauble
Lightning Greaves
Swiftfoot Boots
Enchantments
Artificer's Intuition
Ghirapur Aether Grid
Storm the Vault
Thopter Spy Network
Lands
8 Island
3 Mountain
3 Plains
Azorius Guildgate
Boros Guildgate
Buried Ruin
Desolate Lighthouse
Flood Plain
Hallowed Fountain
Izzet Guildgate
Mystic Monastery
Sacred Foundry
Steam Vents
Swiftwater Cliffs
Temple of Elightenment
Temple of Epiphany
Temple of the False God
Temple of Triumph
Tranquil Cove
Wind-Scarred Crag
Warped Landscape
Inventors' Fair
Ancient Den
Darksteel Citadel
Seat of the Synod

I know there are cards I want to add - Jhoria's Familiar and Daring Archaeologist from Dominaria to be specific - and I'm not sure what gets cut just yet. But for now I am going to be happy just chucking Glassdust Hulks at folks.

No comments: