Friday, June 6, 2008

New old music

It's great when the bands you listen to lead you to discover other music. This little journey begins with the Lawrence Arms. While I have talked about the label Brendan helps run (Red Scare) previously, and gush over those artists, I will not be talking about them today.
Rather, I'm going to gush over American Steel. I mean, I was first exposed to these guys when their new album had some tracks played on PunkRadioCast, which was pretty bad ass. I then heard the Larry Arms had them open on their recent tour (which I sadly missed). I mean hell, they had to be good. Recently, I picked up that album (Destroy Their Future) and Rogue's March. Let me tell you, I am blown away. There is something so powerful about the vocals n these albums- they are all at once gruff and rough yet refined, and full of soul. Granted, March is less polished, but still you can hear the strain and the heart.
The newer release, out on Fat Wreck Chords, has some insanely moving tracks- the biggest stand out to me is Hurtlin' which fuses that punk aesthetic with some true folksy tune, and an accordion.

If you like The Lawrence Arms, Alkaline Trio, the Loved Ones, the Gaslight Anthem, or other bands like those, pick up American Steel- you will not be disappointed.

No comments: