Monday, August 18, 2008

We had the greatest expectations

I want to write more. I just haven't had the ego to do so.
You see, I heard from The Ferrett that writing is the greatest expression of one's own ego. I don't think he was the one who came up with the statement, but he's the source I got so I'm citing him. And the fact of the matter is, I haven't had that much ego in the past few months. Giving two years of your life to a pursuit to see no payoff is enough to put the kibosh on any individual's self-worth.
But I'm clawing my way back up the self-esteem ladder. I've been active (though not as active as I'd like to be). I'm writing about Magic and enjoying music again. And it's fun to write that.
You see, for some reason, the music I listen to and the hobbies I involve myself in seem to make other people chuckle or laugh. Well, screw off people, I like this music and I love playing Magic. And also- why the fuck do you care so much that I enjoy these things? Do you have some sort of sinister plan to invade my brain and take over my body? If so...you're a freak.
I went rafting with the Firing Squad on Saturday. It was a blast and I didn't get a horrific sunburn this time around. You know, the kind that makes you feel like you will never want to be touched again and when it's all done you leave a cicada husk behind in your bed. Nope, just a mild pink on the backs of my arms.
Hanging out with old friends is rough. No matter how much everyone changes and matures, the group still remembers the other ones as the same kid that was awkward growing up. It's nice to grow up, but sometimes i wish these groups would let me- although this time around wasn't so bad. Aside from my lampooned haircut the ribbing was all good natured.
I've also had the opportunity to reconnect with an old friend. He teased me growing up, but we've moved past that. it's great to have mature conversations with people you've know for years. It just makes certain days so much better.
I got to meet Dougherty's girlfriend Hannah. I totally approve (and I know they read this). Dan's been awesome forever and Hannah is a totally awesome woman.
Also, Star Wars Lego key-chains are tech.

No comments: