Monday, August 20, 2018

Teneb, the Harvester of Histories

Preamble Ramble

Everyone has a history with Magic. Mine just happens to be longer than most. I started playing in fourth grade in 1994. I was 10 then and I turn 35 in December so for over 70% of my life I've slung spells. 
Almost exactly halfway through these two points I moved to Buffalo, New York for Graduate School in the summer of 2006. I shipped almost all of my possessions. One box contained the vast majority of my collection and all CDs. 

Guess which was the one box that got lost?

I had a binder of rares and a few casual decks in another box but just like that a huge part of my identity made physical was gone. I stuck with the game thanks to Pauper and Magic Online

That paid off. After Buffalo I took a job in Westchester, New York. I played more Pauper and did more writing. One year later I got an email inviting me to the first ever Community Cup. I remember a few things distinctly about the run up to the event. First, I did multiple laps around my apartment. Second, I frantically built an Elder Dragon Highlander deck out of whatever cards I had left.

My general: a Japanese Darigaaz, the Igniter that I picked up in a triple Invasion Rochester Draft at Neutral Ground helping folks prepare for the Pro Tour.

Everyone has a history. Mine gets told in cards.

One neat thing about the Community Cup that year: we all got a full set. My set was Planar Chaos.

Part I

A few weeks ago I was playing my Zirilan of the Claw deck at Commander night. Everything was going well until Daretti, Scrap Savant played Mycosynth Lattice. This should set off about a million alarm bells, but the rest of the table paid it no mind.
The Mimeoplasm them took my Hellkite Tyrant. Despite my powers of persuasion, I couldn't stop them from attacking me and causing my own personal obliteration. I wanted them to hold back - to let me go after Daretti on my turn. No dice.
Daretti untapped with Krark-Clan Ironworks and drew Spine of Ish Sah. The game was over.

I'm not salty. Not one bit.

While I never shied away from powerful things in Commander I have long kept my decks firmly in the "fun" camp. But the more I play the more I realize I have been intentionally hamstringing myself for the sake of fun, when the mere concept itself is subjective. Commander should be fun - it should create stories.

It is okay if some stories end like my night with Zirilan.

Part II






Everyone has things they like to games of Magic. I enjoy sacrificing for value (obviously). I also like breaking symmetry. Back when I was buying into fringe Modern decks I purchased a playset of Death Cloud. There was something alluring about this tribute to Pox. While the deck never materialized I held on to the cards because I liked them.

After my drubbing I started to think of ways to craft a similar game state. I wanted a way to maintain my board position while absolutely decimating that of my opponents. Mass land destruction is one such way and with the right mix of spells (and mana rocks) I would be able to tilt the balance in my favor. 

So I knew I was going to be Black and Green. On the search for a third color I thought about what the deck needed. A way to close - a way to turn my adversaries' mana woes against them. I thought back to Planar Chaos.

I grinned a wicked grin.






Teneb, the Harvester is one of those cards. You know the kind I'm talking about. They're the cards that aren't the best at what they do but you still have a fondness for. Teneb is a dragon, it reanimates things, and I have a copy tied to one of my biggest Magic memories. They just so happened to fit the bill this time around - you can't cast your threats so I'm just going to take it from your graveyard.

Part III

Putting together the decklist I realized exactly how much of my personal history was packed into this deck. The Commander came from my trip to Renton, as did the foil Birds of Paradise and the Necrotic Sliver. The Catastrophe is signed by Andrew Robinson - a keepsake from my trip to the Junior Super Series Open at Disney World in 1999. The Captain Sisay? From the same Invasion Rochester Draft that nabbed me that Darigaaz. Ob Nixilis, the Fallen came from the Zendikar Prerelease where I also opened a Hidden Treasure Volcanic Island (as well as a Goblin Guide and an Arid Mesa). Joining Ob Nixilis in prerelease power are stamped copies of Glissa, the Traitor and Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle.

Teneb may not make friends but the dragon knows its history. Jhoira's Familiar was an easy inclusion once I realized my plan was heavily built on mana rocks and Planeswalkers. A Medallion for over a third of your deck is pretty darn good. The aforementioned tag team of Glissa and Teshar is brutal as it can keep your board full despite redundant wipes. Teshar also plays well with Sun Titan which made me bias the deck towards cards that cost three mana or under. In hindsight, this deck should have Plague Boiler and Necroplasm somewhere in the 99.

What does Teneb do? Teneb ramps and then blows up the world. Then it rebuilds. Along the way, it earns some concessions.

Commander

Teneb, the Harvester

Creatures

Acidic Slime

Archon of Justice
Ashen Rider
Birds of Paradise
Deathrite Shaman
Centaur Vinecrasher
Courser of Kruphix
Desolation Angel
Necrotic Sliver
Ramunap Excavator
Sun Titan
Sylvan Caryatid
Terravore
Veteran Explorer
Wayward Swordtooth
World Breaker
World Queller
World Shaper
Captain Sisay
Glissa, the Traitor
Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar
Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle
The Gitrog Monster
Copper Myr
Gold Myr
Jhoira's Familiar
Leaden Myr
Palladium Myr
Sylvok Replica

Instants
Sylvan Reclamation

Sorceries
Catastrophe
Death Cloud
Life from the Loam
Life's Finale
Splendid Reclamation

Artifacts
Commander's Sphere
Crucible of Worlds
Darksteel Ingot
Golgari Signet
Orzhov Signet
Selesnya Signet
Sol Ring
Thran Dynamo
Unstable Obelisk
Worn Powerstone

Enchantments
Cryptolith Rite
Debtors' Knell
Deadbridge Chant
Fall of the Thran
Frontier Siege
Mirari's Wake
Pernicious Deed
Phyrexian Arena
The Eldest Reborn
The Mending of Dominaria

Planeswalkers
Elspeth, Knight-Errant
Garruk Relentless
Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
Ob Nixilis, Reignited
Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
Vraska, Relic Seeker

Lands
6 Forest
4 Swamp
2 Plains
Ancient Den
Brushland
Caves of Koilos
Command Tower
Dakmor Salvage
Drifting Meadow
Drownyard Temple
Field of Ruin
Ghost Quarter
Godless Shrine
Golgari Rot Farm
Grasslands
Llanowar Wastes
Orzhov Basilica
Overgrown Tomb
Polluted Mire
Sandsteppe Citadel
Selesnya Sanctuary
Slippery Karst
Tectonic Edge
Temple Garden
Temple of Malady
Tree of Tales
Vault of Whispers
Verdant Catacombs

Part IV

I took Teneb to Commander night last week. I sat down with some familiar faces, including Tatoyva from last week. Nekrusar, Tuvasa, Tatoyva, and Teneb. I flipped an early Garruk, Relentless by fighting the Sunlit while. Tatoyva ramped and was setting up to win the game.  At some point I attempted to kick a Desolation Angel but the ramp player had the counter. Using Glissa I was able to Sylvok Replica away multiple problematic enchantment. Nekrusar renaimated a Jin Gitaxias while the other two players had Reliquary Tower on the table. 

I never ended up having to discard my hand. Tatoyva cast Praetor's Council and I managed to rip and resolve a Life's Finale. The Praetor left the table and when I targeted Tatoyva they scooped. 


So now it was a three headed game. I stuck a massive Terravore and began attacking. I don't remember what I did to prompt Nekrusar to scoop but I think it involved blowing up lands. A short while later I attacked Tuvasa for lethal. 

I quickly put the deck away. I wanted other people to have fun after all.

Conclusion

The night ended with me showing the deck off to a few more regulars. Each time when they finally realized what the deck was doing they looked uneasy. Every time, without fail - "this is so unlike you."

I guess I'm better at making friends than Teneb.

No comments: