Friday, February 20, 2009

So last week I came into possession of a Squirtgun album. These guys are a ton of fun. I was brought into punk by the left coast style of bands like MxPx and the saccharine like tunes of The Ataris. While I still listen to these bands once in a while, I have problems relating to the lyrics the way I once did. Squirtgun, somehow changes that- they play the same pop sensible music but manage to mature it like a fine wine. The lyrics are older and the rhythm section is absolutely fantastic. For all those who are embarrassed by some of the lighter records in their collection, I recommend you dive into this band- quality stuff.
Speaking of rhythm, (Shit's Fucked" by The Copyirghts has one of the best drum and bass interludes I have ever heard. I mean, I must have listened to that song a hundred or more times, and only this past week did I realize how absurdly tight and explosive the breakdown was. Being a total sucker for drums and bass, it comes as no surprise, but I'm pissed at myself for missing such awesome stuff for so long.
Way to be guy, way to be.
I have recently discovered a love of comic books. I've picked up the three most recent volumes of the Immortal Iron Fist, and I have to say I think I'm in love. The art is wonderful and the writing has this impeccable sense of timing. It manages to blend cheesy kung-fu flicks with dry wit and the Venture Bros. Total classic.

1 comment:

DB said...

At least you're not so old you have gray hair... LIKE ME! haha