Monday, April 14, 2008

Me vs. The Mets: The First of Many

Don't get me wrong, I love the New York Mets. Ask my Mom and Dad- my emotions during the summer are eerily tied to the most recent performance of my favorite ball club. However, thy must be kicking themselves right now.
Last year they traded minor league starter Brian Bannister to the Kansas City Royals for Ambiorix Burgos, a reliever. Burgos was supposed to be a project for pitching coach Ric Petersen.
He did not pass the class, so to speak.
Bannister, on the other hand, was one of the best "rookie" pitchers last year (I quote because he had four awesome starts for the Mets in 2006), and this year is 3-0 with a 0.86 ERA.
I'm usually not critical of the Mets front office- hell, at the time I thought the Kazmir trade was a good deal (yeah, I know, I was wrong). However, as soon as the Bannister trade hit the media, I knew it was a huge huge huge mistake.
Looks like I was right, at least for now. Bannister is starting and Burgos is hurt.
Awesome.

No comments: