Sunday, November 23, 2008

Free association

I want to write, but I don't know what the subject matter should be. instead, I'm just going to keep writing.
I went to my friend's housewarming last night and it was a trip. We went to camp and college together, but random people from my high school showed up-people I haven't seen in seven years. So there was a good amount of reminiscing. It was nice, but nothing extremely deep or meaningful, just good conversation. Like it would be anything less? I mean, you always hear how people are like "Holy shit, I ran into these guys from my life that I haven't seen in forever and everyone changed and got fat/bald/lost an eye and has 12 kids!" Yeah, none of that. Just catching up and reconnecting.
I continue to struggle with understanding flirts. When a woman makes eyes with you at the beginning of the evening and then later starts a conversation with you, but then stumbles away...what the hell does that mean? Additionally, how the hell am I supposed to know what the different looks mean? Is there a guidebook?
I got my hands on two Chuck Ragan records and holy shit, I can not stop listening to them. It's just good straight from the heart rock and roll. I know a lot of people think that it's country rock but to me it just has that rhythm and roll. I mean, sure, there's a banjo and a twang, but that does not mean it can't fucking rock.
And rock it does...harder than Rock of Love. But seriously, go listen to Chuck Ragan and revel in how fucking awesome it is.
What? You want more? Fine.
It has that punk ethos but is twinged with banjo and acoustic rhythm over electric crunch and thumping bass. Instead of woahs you get the hum of the harmonica. You get incredibly mature and poetic lyrics over simple catchy melodies. The lyrical hooks, however, are the things that really reigned me in. Simple negations of statements really work for this record and compliment Ragan's voice and introspective stance very well.
I took myself off of the auto-renew on jDate, but I'm thinking I may sign up again at a cheaper rate. I mean, it hasn't been totally useless- I'm just not very patient.

No comments: