Friday, November 6, 2009

Seattle's keeping me in tune, part 7

So the day ends with a rematch. Aaron Forsythe is dead set on extracting revenge for the defeat he suffered at my hand in round two.
Sure, I can take it to the same fprmer pro twice in one day.
I must be tired, I must be exhausted, I must be bad.
In game one, he goes and tutors for Moat. This is bad because I actually have Aven Mindcensor in hand and just skip my priority, thinking he was just making more tokens with his Sword/Thopter combo. He then gets down a Humility and I rip the Disenchant. Of course, I have no idea what to do. So I call Randy over, and after examining the board position, I take out the Humility. It turns out to be the right play, as eventually I rip and Elspeth and swing over with a flying Soltari Champion that is exactly lethal.
Phew.
Game two he gets a draw that allows him to keep drawing cards thanks to a 5th Dawn Station and Chromatic Star. He cycles Decree of Justice and I am just unable to punch through.
Game three, for all the marbles. I get an aggressive draw and whittle him low on life. However, I blow my Disenchant on a Porphyry Nodes for no reason, even knowing he runs the Grindstone/Servant Combo. It is pointless because I'm holding Stillmoon Cavalier that will not die to the Nodes, and I'm building towards seven Plains for the Sky Ruin, so it can Nodes can never take out my bigger threats. As it stands, he gets the combo and kills me while he is at two life.
No excuses, I knew about the combo and did not think for the long game. I can blame it on being tired, but I should have listened to the voice that said "no."
No excuse, I made a mistake.
But the competition is over for the day. We go to the party which involves wacky drafts and Zendikar 1v1 Sealed. I win some, I lose some, and then I get an EDH game going against Erik and Pete Jahn. Pete manages to win with his Starke deck even after I had an active Citanul Flute. Hopefully, I'll be able to grab some revenge later today.
All things considered, I went 5-2 on the day, getting wins against players who are much better than me (I think), and I am ready to post another positive record today.
Later dudes,

No comments: