Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Hear what I'm sayin'...

Something awesome happened today, and it involved the Yankees (and not my beloved Mets).
The Yankees played an exhibition game at Virginia Tech against their college baseball team after attending a memorial ceremony for those who were lost in the tragedy last year.

There are so many things right with this act that I cannot begin to describe them all.

I'm going to focus on one: the power of sport. I love baseball, and I think it is a language that much of America speaks in one way or another. The Yankees scream America in a certain way (look at their logo and their name for cryin' out loud). This game today was a healing process for the Hokies and for America, I feel. America, in two icons, reached out and offered support.
The Yankee players said the right things and acted the right way, trying to bring some amount of relief to what is no doubt still a trying and emotional environment.
For one of the few times in my life, I'm going to say this (but don't you dare hold it against me Mr. Met): Go Yankees.

No comments: